Kim is a registered and licensed occupational therapist (PA, NJ, NY, and DE) and a 500-hour certified yoga instructor (Kripalu and Pranakriya styles).
Kim obtained her master’s degree in occupational therapy (OT) from Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia in 2006 and her doctorate in OT from Chatham University in Pittsburgh in 2015. She is a full-time Assistant Professor at Jefferson in the Occupational Therapy Department.
Kim specializes in the treatment of executive functioning deficits, motor planning disorders, visual perceptual disorders, non-verbal learning disorders, ADHD, anxiety, mood disorders, and high-functioning autism. Her doctoral capstone, Increasing Competency of Parents of Adolescents With Executive Functioning Deficits: Enhancing Occupational Performance With Mindfulness has been published in the peer-reviewed journal, The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy.
Kim considers herself an eternal student and participates in classes, workshops, and trainings as often as possible.
Occupational therapy certifications (beyond required state licensure) include:
- Comprehensive training in
administrationof the Sensory Integration and Praxis Test (SIPT): USC/Western Psychological Services Sensory Integration Certification #3628
Occupational therapy workshops and trainings attended include:
- National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavior (NICABM): Expert Strategies for Working with Anxiety (2019)
- National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavior (NICABM): How to Work with a Client’s Resistance (2018)
- Screen, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT): Substance Use Foundations Training for Occupational Therapists (2018)
- Learn it Today, Use it Tomorrow! Practical, Cutting Edge Interventions for Improving Executive Function Skills in Students (2018)
- Social Thinking Global Providers’ Conference (2017)
- Learning Without Tears K-5 Handwriting Workshop (2017)
- Optimizing Executive Function: Strategy-Based Intervention in Children and Adults (2016)
- American Occupational Therapy Association’s Annual Conferences (2007-2011, 2014-2019)
- American Occupational Therapy Association’s Education Summit Conferences (2014 and 2016)
- Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association’s Annual Conferences (2012-2014)
- Executive Dysfunction: Effective Strategies for Children and Adolescents
- Penn’s Program for Mindfulness: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course (MBSR)
- Clear Light Meditation Foundation Programs
- The Complementary and Alternative Therapies at the University of Pennsylvania’s Second Annual Tai Sophia Retreat
- Intervention for Children with Avoidant or Restrictive Food Intake Disorder: Selective Eating
- The Get Permission Approach to Sensory Mealtime Challenges
Yoga certifications include:
- 200-hour Basic Yoga Teacher Certification Training through Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health
- 40-hour Ashtanga Primary Series Certification Training through David Swenson
- Next Generation Yoga for Children (2-7 year olds)
- 500-hour Advanced Teacher Certification Training through Yoganand Michael Carroll’s Pranakriya Yoga Program.
Yoga workshops attended include:
- The Energy Intensive with Sudhir Jonathan Foust and Shobhan Richard Faulds
- Posture Assisting Techniques with Yoganand Michael Carroll
- Restorative Yoga with Sudha Carolyn Lundeen
- Spiritual Awakening through Kripalu Yoga with Shobhan Richard Faulds
- Partner Yoga with Todd Norian and Ann Greene
- Yoga Therapy Intensive: Approaches for Chronic Disease and Emotional Conditions with Gary Kraftsow
- Vibrant Visionary Collage: Your Artist Journal as a Creative Sanctuary with Karen Arp-Sandel
Select Peer-Reviewed Presentations:
- April 2019: The Occupational Designer: Forging New Frontiers Through a Capstone Experience. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: Poster Session
- June 2017: Design is NOT Just for Designers: Use Design Thinking & Interprofessional Hackathon Design Events to Innovate Your Curriculum or Clinical Practice. Thomas Jefferson University’s Faculty Days: Keynote Address.
- April 2017: Universal Design for Learning Techniques and Tips for Occupational Therapy Education. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: (SIS) EDSIS Annual Program
- April 2016: Teaching Mindfulness to Parents of Adolescents with Executive Functioning Deficits to Support Caregiving Skills. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: Poster Session
- April 2016: The Current Climate of Teaching—Accommodations, Legal Rights, and Effective Strategies. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: (SIS) EDSIS Annual Program
- April 2015: Behavior Change: Applying the Transtheoretical Model to Classroom and Clinic. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: (SIS) EDSIS Faculty Subsection Buzz Session
- November 2014: Creating Behavior Change: Habits, Routines, and Lifestyles! Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association State Conference: Presentation
- April 2011: The Use of Kripalu Yoga to Increase Occupational Performance in Sensory Over-Responsive Adults: Evidence and Implications, Philadelphia, PA. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: Poster Session
- April 2009: The Use of Kripalu Yoga to Increase Occupational Performance in Sensory Over-Responsive Individuals Across the Lifespan, Houston, TX. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: Short Course
- April 2008: The Use of Kripalu Yoga to Decrease Sensory Over-Reactivity: Implications for Improving Occupational Performance in Individuals with Sensory Defensiveness, Long Beach, CA. American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference: Short Research Paper
Kim is a registered member of the Kripalu Yoga and Ayurveda Association (KYAA), the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) and the Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association (POTA).